Nothing is working on a major update to its Android interface – the biggest since the introduction of Nothing OS 2.0, which was released alongside the Nothing Phone (2). Nothing OS 2.5 is based on Android 14 for the first time and introduces additional Nothing-specific features. At the same time, there are various new UI elements that are intended to ensure a more consistent design.
The Nothing OS 2.5 beta is initially only available for the Nothing Phone (2). However, the company has already confirmed that it is also working on an Android 14 update for the Phone (1). If you want to test the update, you should note that it is still a beta version. Therefore, there may still be errors or functions may be completely missing.
As a prerequisite for the update, Nothing OS 2.0.3 must be installed on the Nothing Phone (2). Installation instructions can be found in this post in the Nothing Community Forum. If you don’t like what you see after installing OS 2.5, you can roll back to Nothing OS 2.0.3. However, you should back up your data beforehand, as the rollback process involves resetting to the factory settings.
Here is the complete changelog for the Nothing OS 2.5 Open Beta 1 for the Nothing Phone (2):
- Updated the widgets library interface so Nothing widgets appear more clearly.
- New photos widget, allowing you to display your favourite photos on both your Home Screen and Lock Screen.
- New screenshot editor and menu, allowing for more advanced editing features and quick deletions.
- Updated design of back gesture to be more in line with Nothing’s style.
- Added the option to hide app icons on the Home Screen and app drawer. Swipe right in the app drawer to reveal hidden app icons.
- Capture screenshots quickly with a three-finger swipe.
- Customise the double-press power button to quickly access a chosen feature.
- Redesigned a joint Home Screen and Lock Screen customisation page for a more comprehensive view of options.
- Introduced the glass filter to make your favourite wallpapers extra unique.
- New solid colour wallpapers for a cleaner Home Screen appearance.
- Added a monochrome colour theme in the basic colour section.
- New back gesture while interacting with apps
- Updated Quick Settings layout and added Nothing earbuds icons.
- More Lock Screen shortcut options including do not disturb, mute, QR code scanner and video camera.
- Made it possible to set ringtone and notification sound volumes separately, with an updated volume control interface.
- Added regional settings so you can customise your unit and number preferences