Apple released iOS 16.4, bringing several minor updates to the mobile operating system. The big new feature here is the ability to receive web app notifications from Safari. The notifications also appear as a badge on the home screen and can be configured for focus mode.
Apple also added voice isolation for cellular calls, which it says offers improved reduction in ambient noise. The feature was previously available in FaceTime and other third-party VoIP calling apps. There are a total of 21 new emojis with iOS 16.4, including hand gestures, new hearts, a jellyfish, and a Wi-Fi icon. Photos also gets a new feature to remove duplicate photos and videos from iCloud Share photo libraries.
Apple Books in iOS 16.4 brings back the page turning animation that was missing since iOS 16. There’s built-in support for Sony’s PlayStation 5 DualSense Edge controllers, as well as crash detection improvements on the iPhone 14 series. iOS 16.4 is available to install on iPhone 8 and later starting today.
iOS 16.4 update changelog:
- 21 new emoji including animals, hand gestures, and objects are now available in the emoji keyboard
- Notifications for web apps added to the Home Screen
- Voice Isolation for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and blocks out ambient noise around you
- Duplicates album in Photos expands support to detect duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library
- VoiceOver support for maps in the Weather app
- Accessibility setting to automatically dim video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected
- Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children may fail to appear on the parent’s device
- Addresses issues where Matter-compatible thermostats could become unresponsive when paired to Apple Home
- Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models